I am proud to announce that my alma mater, Booker T. Washington High School in Memphis, TN has been selected as one of six finalists in the 2011 Race to the Top Commencement Challenge for an opportunity to have President Barack Obama serve as their keynote speaker at their 2011 commencement ceremony. Booker T. Washington was chosen as a finalist from thousands of entries of which nearly six-hundred met the rigorous criteria.
The Commencement Challenge invites public high schools across the country to demonstrate how their school best prepares them for college and a career, helping America win the future by out-educating our competitors and achieving President Obama’s goal of having the highest proportion of college graduates in the world by 2020.
The 2011 Race to the Top Commencement Challenge Finalists are:
- Booker T. Washington High School (Memphis, Tennessee)
- Bridgeport High School (Bridgeport, Washington)
- Wayne Early Middle College High School (Goldsboro, North Carolina)
- Science Park High School (Newark, New Jersey)
- Pittsburgh CAPA 6-12, School for Creative and Performing Arts (Pittsburgh, PA)
- High Tech High International (San Diego, CA)
To find out more about The Race to the Top High School Commencement Challenge please visit —–> http://www.whitehouse.gov/commencement
Public voting to narrow the schools from six to three begins on Thursday, April 21, 2011 and ends Monday, May 2, 2011.